Tuesday 7 May 2013

Monday Make....Pin Cushions

I absolutely love quilting, I have about 3 quilts that are "in progress" and one of them has been "in progress" for almost a year now. However, that is a queen size and I think I took on too big a project with that one, seeing as it was my first. Oh well, I will finish it at some point.

Anyway, I am forever trying to stuff pins in things, normally in my sleeve or scattered on the floor/desk/cats/etc. So I thought it was about time I made a really simple pin cushion. Given this one isn't finished as it requires a button in the middle and the side to be hand sewn, but you get the idea.

For all of those wanting to make on yourself here's how:

Materials:
2 contrasting cotton materials
1 piece of lace or curtain netting
rotary cutter or scissors
pins
sewing machine (obviously)
button
stuffing
ruler

 
  1. Cut 4 squares each 2.5 inches width and height from both fabrics (8 squares in total)
  2. Sew one square of one fabric to one square of another fabric along one side using a 1/4 inch seam. Do this until you have 4 rectangle pieces
  3. Sew one rectangle piece to another rectangle piece, making sure the squares are contrasting when pieced together. You'll end up with a square.
  4. Place the two squares right side together and sew all the way around the outside leaving a 2 inch gap (mine is always about 1 inch whoops) for turning and then stuffing.
  5. Turn the squares the right side round and stuff with stuffing.
  6. Sew up the open section with ladder stitch
  7. Take your button and sew it onto the middle, you'll need to get your needle all the way through the stuffed square here to give it a nice puckered effect.
  8. Poke pins in the top and voila you have a finished pin cushion.

No comments:

Post a Comment